Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Recycling Used Small electronics Through the U. S. Postal Service!!

Ruth Sandra Sperling
Designs In Fiber


I went to the Post Office today in My Small Town in the Antelope Valley, CA this afternoon and saw a new box that had a recycling symbol on it.

Had to go take a look - wondered what it was about!

To my pleased surprise, there is currently a program to recycle used small electronics like cell phones, PDAs, MP3 players, digital cameras and inkjet cartridges with a postage-paid mailer through the good old U.S. Postal Service - and they provide the small plastic envelopes for doing it.

See the pictures below - the first one is the front and the bottom one is the back of it.




Well, I took a few - I know I have an old cell phone and an old digital camera (small one with very low pixels-the first one I ever had and now won't ever use!) to recycle. Been trying to figure out what to do with them and I think this is the best solution. Probably will come with an inkjet cartridge or 2 - though the stores that sell them usually take them.
Also, take note, there is a note on the back of the envelope: "USPS has no responsibility for the loss or confidentiality of customer data on recycled equipment."
So, be sure you erase all the data on any small electronics you recycle!!
Not sure what areas of the country or if the whole country is doing it. I am in Southern California, the County of Los Angeles, which has a county-wide recycling program.
But maybe, wherever you are, you want to look around your Post Office when you are there and see if they have a recycling box for used small electronics!!
Since I go there periodically anyway - it is an easy solution for me!!
Ruth

No comments :