Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A YUMMY MORNING SMOOTHIE TO START THE DAY RIGHT

Ruth Sandra Sperling
RSS Designs In Fiber - Internet Shop of Handmade Items
RSS Designs Wearable - Internet Shop of Wearable Items
RSS Crochet Thread Plus - Internet Shop of Crochet Thread


I am always watching what I eat - for health reasons and as part of my concerns as an environmentalist.

A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to start out my day with something that would go down smooth with plenty of nutrients in it -- and a good taste.

I've mentioned before about getting fresh fruit from a local orchard - fresh-picked off the trees.

I usually eat fruit in the morning and I decided to make it into something drinkable.

So, after checking around, mostly on the Internet, for what the portions of different ingredients should be to make a good smoothie -- and some experimentation -- I have come up with the following recipe for a good-tasting healthy smoothie. I add in a bunch of stuff because they are healthy, but they are optional for just making a smoothie and they will be in parentheses ( ).

A MORNING SMOOTHIE TO START THE DAY RIGHT

-- 1 cup chopped frozen fruit - your choice (mine now is frozen fresh-picked!)
-- 1 or 2 ice cubes - how much depends on how thick you want it
-- equivalent of 2-6 teaspons of non-calorie sweetner - I use the herb stevia, which is naturally sweet
-- splash of unsweetend fruit juice
-- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic soy milk - or any lowfat milk of your choice
(equivalent of 1 ice cube of frozen lowfat plain yogurt)
(splash of Aloe Vera Juice)
(1/2 packet of Emergen-C)
(1 serving of a protein shake)

Put all of the above in a blender - chop, blend and liquefy until everything frozen is liquefied.

I'll be honest -- depending on what I put in, in what amounts, it comes out different thickenesses each day, but boy is it delicious and it goes down so-o-o-o smooth and good!!


If you've got a blender, smoothies are easy to make, even if you are in a hurry. I always put in the 1/2 packet of Emergen-C, which insures some really good nutrients. So does the organic soy milk, the aloe vera juice and the protein shake - because my protein shake mix powder is full of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients (NSI Gluco-Power Shake available on www.vitacost.com).

But do it like you want it!!


Ruth

No comments :