Tuesday, March 25, 2008

GLOBAL WARMING - EVIDENCE OF & SOMETHING YOU CAN DO - EARTH HOUR 2008

One of the things I am worried about in our lives is Global Warming.

I am convinced - and have been for years - that it is going on and that we must take responsibility for our impact on Global Warming.

Today I read an article about an Ice Chunk in Western Antarctica collapsing - apparently scientists say that this is a sign of worsening Global Warming.

There is something going on this coming Saturday, March 29, 2008 that individuals and businesses can participate in - it is called Earth Hour 2008 - it is "...the simple action of turning off the lights for one hour to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on global warming". You can sign up and participate!

I will be doing it this coming Saturday evening between the hours of 8 pm and 9 pm. According to their website at this time, over 200,000 people and over 13,000 business around the world have signed up to participate.

Doing Earth Hour 2008 is a statement and maybe a beginning for some, but there are things you can do every day - I do conservation every day - with water and with electricity - I keep lights turned off in rooms I am not in/using and I have energy saving bulbs in all but a few light fixtures. I keep electric appliances and equipment, such as this computer I am using, turned off totally when it is not being used. Doing this is a part of my daily life. Read about the simple things you can do each day to reduce your impact on climate change on earthhour.org.

The Union of Concerned Scientists, which has a very comprehensive website and sends out newsletters, also has a lot of information about what people can do in their lives based on scientific data. They have a section of their website dedicated to the subject of Global Warming.

This issue of Global Warming is affecting all of us - there are various different ways of keeping informed and reducing your impact on it!

Doing what I can every day makes me feel a little bit better!!

Ruth

No comments :