Wednesday, June 17, 2009

World Wide Knit (Crochet) In Public Day(s)

Ruth Sandra Sperling
RSS Designs In Fiber - Internet Shop of Handmade Items In Fibers





Personally, I actually think it is funny that there is a "World Wide Knit (Crochet) In Public Day" -- or Days, as it turns out!!

I periodically do it all the time -- though not at events with others -- just on my own as I go around shopping or traveling or going to the doctor!!

But I think having a Day for celebrating it is a great idea for promoting the arts of Needlework!!


  • Saturday, June 13th, 2009 and Sunday, June 14th, 2009 (2nd weekend of June)

  • Saturday, June 20th, 2009 and Sunday, June 21st, 2009 (3rd weekend of June)


Today ( a Wednesday) is right in the middle of the 2 weekends -- and according to the official website, in future years, it will be on the 3rd weekend of June, so it does not conflict with other Needle Arts events going on around the world.

Well, in my little rural town in the east Antelope Valley of Southern California, I did not know anyone else doing it (to organize an event), so I just went out to my local restaurant and had lunch and crocheted on this bag I am making for myself - in public.

But the people at the restaurant might not realize that I was there purposely because it was "World Wide Knit(Crochet) In Public Day"!!

You see -- almost every time I go there (which is once in a while) -- I have with me one of my crochet projects, which I pull out and work on while I am waiting for my order!!

I sometimes have knitting with me instead of crochet, but people worry a little bit about knitting needles in public these days because they are so long and sharp, so I usually have some form of crochet with me whenever I go out!

There is a whole list of public places I crochet at:


  • all kinds of restaurants

  • parks

  • bus stops

  • train stations

  • trains

  • doctor's offices (all that waiting, you know!)

  • hospital cafeterias

  • plazas.


It is a great way to keep yourself occupied -- and from going "stir-crazy" with all the waiting!!

Taking the Metrolink train from the Antelope Valley to Los Angeles -- or vice versa -- I have gotten quite a bit of crochet done on that not-so-short trip!!

I think this coming weekend I'll celebrate it again - just for the fun of it - maybe head over the the local town park and crochet some at a table under the trees!!



Ruth

No comments :