Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Honoring the Creativity in Crochet of Marinke - "A Creative Being" - Mandalas For Marinke

Ruth Sandra Sperling
RSS Designs In Fiber
- Get My Handmade in my Bonanza Booth or my Etsy Shop -- or Privately



I was very sad on the day in June 2015 when I read the Crochet Concupiscence article with the news about Marinke of "A Creative Being" succumbing to suicide - but I immediately thought that the creation of the Project "Mandalas For Marinke" was great - to honor and celebrate Marinke's creativity.

What Marinke and I - along with many others - had in common was the Love of doing CROCHET and getting CREATIVE with it - with lots of COLORS!!!

So, I decided right then and there - when I first read about it - that I would crochet some things based on Marinke's Mandala Patterns for that project.

The photo above is of the first one I did - based on Marinke's Spoke Mandala Pattern.  When I first saw Marinke's Mandalas, it was the one that caught my attention and I wanted to do!  This one is done in Peaches and Creme Cotton Worsted Yarn - and is 10 Inches in diameter.

But I wanted to do more - I have been crocheting Hats and Scarves longer than anything else - and I thought it would be neat to make a Hat based on Marinke's Standard Mandala Pattern in lots of cheerful colors - I decided to do it in Peaches & Creme Cotton Yarn, which I have in lots of colors - and I did them in the order of the Color Spectrum - Red to Purple/Magenta - here are the Photos of what I call the "Mandala Hat" --



Then I decided to do another Spoke Mandala - but this one is done in a thinner thread - a Size 3 Cotton Thread - in Red, Green and White - coming out to 6 1/2 Inches in Diameter ---



Based on Marinke's Patterns - they Honor and Celebrate her Creativity!

From the Crochet Concupiscence post starting "Mandalas For Marinke":
"Each post will include at least one fact about depression to help raise awareness about this issue as we celebrate Wink’s work."
Though my medical problems are different than Marinkes and not in the field of Mental Health, Crocheting has brought me much Joy!!!  And I totally support and respect the Human Rights and Dignity for those who suffer from Mental Health problems - I have known about this organization for some years: 
- and I strongly believe in Patients Rights and proper medical care for all.


2 comments :

ShadowDogDesigns said...

What beautiful work, Ruth! Although I had never heard of Marinke until now, it's so sad to learn how she died. Am sure she would have loved your interpretations of the mandala.

Adorebynat said...

Tons of colors, I love looking your creations!