Thursday, April 10, 2008

ANNOUNCING - MY OWN INTERNET SHOP OF MY FAVORITE CROCHET THREADS!!

Ruth Sandra Sperling
RSS Designs In Fiber - My Internet Shop for my finished craft projects for sale
RSS Crochet Thread Plus - My Internet Shop for the crochet threads I want to sell
(See the sidebar to the right, below for mini pictures of some of what I have available in each shop!!)


Most people who do crafts have their favorite materials.

So - I am no exception!!

I started doing thread crochet regularly in 2003 - it took about a year for me to find the crochet threads that I now prefer.

Actually, I found out about the brand because I got a ball of their crochet thread in a lot I bought of second-hand thread in new condition.

I discovered that it was of unusually good quality - that it held a pattern well and I felt it was certainly superior to the crochet thread I had been buying locally.

The brand is DMC and they make a variety of threads - and I feel that they are truly beautiful - and they make my crocheted projects the quality that I want.

For size 10 crochet thread, which is apparently the most used size of crochet thread these days, I use and recommend:

1. DMC Baroque (comes in 8 colors)*
2. DMC Traditions (comes in 18 colors)*
3. DMC Cebelia (comes in 26 colors)*
4. DMC Cordonnet Special (comes in White and Ecru)*

For size 20 crochet thread, which is thinner (or finer) and is considered heirloom weight:

1. DMC Cebelia (comes in 26 colors)*
2. DMC Cordonnet Special (comes in White and Ecru)*

For size 30 crochet thread, which is thinner (or finer) and is considered heirloom weight:

1. DMC Cebelia (comes in 26 colors)*
2. DMC Cordonnet Special (comes in White and Ecru)*

For sizes 40, 50, 60, 70, 100 crochet or tatting thread, which is the thinner heirloom weights:

1. DMC Cordonnet Special (comes in White and Ecru)*

For size 80 crochet or tatting thread, which is fine heirloom weight:

1. DMC Tatting Cotton (comes in 30 colors - 21 solid, 9 variegated)*
2. DMC Cordonnet Special (comes in White and Ecru)*

I also use and recommend - for excellent quality and a large assortment of colors - DMC Pearl Cotton - in all the sizes it comes in (due to is special twist - it has a range of sizes different from regular crochet thread-size 3 is the largest and size 12 is the thinnest):

1. size 3 (in skeins)*
2. size 5 (in skeins - and a few colors in balls)*
3. size 8 (in balls - 230+ colors)*
4. size 12 (in balls - 40 colors)*

Though all of these threads are of excellent quality, the three that are truly superior in quality are DMC Cordonnet Special, DMC Tatting Cotton and DMC Pearl Cotton. DMC Cordonnet Special and DMC Tatting Cotton are of superior six-cord quality. DMC Pearl Cotton is of extremely high quality - its special twist gives it the "pearly" effect it is known for - with a beautiful sheen.

You should see and use these threads to see the quality for yourself!!

The following quotes come from a book that I have, which is written by DMC about Cordonnet Special, "DMC CENTENNIAL EDITION CORODNNET SPECIAL "CENTENAIRE du Cordonnet Special":

"Cordonnet Special, as it is now known, was designed in 1884 and soon became the
pinnacle of DMC's tradition of quality. .... After 1901 the quality of this
thread was still further improved, thanks to the process of mercerization which
gave the thread a permanent gloss and added strength. .... The quality of
Cordonnet Special remains unparalleled today. Its superiority has been
maintained by the use of exclusive production methods, unchanged since 1901. It
is still made from one of the finest fibers in the world - long staple Egyptian
cotton." copyright 1984 EDITIONS TH. de DILLMONT-MULHOUSE (FRANCE), DMC LIBRARY - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - PRINTED IN FRANCE by PPR.


I have personally crocheted with all of these threads in different sizes (not all sizes for all threads, but all of these threads) and I personally prefer them to other crochet threads I have found.

You can check out the website for DMC USA yourself - they list all of their crochet cottons and they have color lists, so you can see which colors they have available.

At this time, I do not have any of the DMC Cordonnet Special or DMC Tatting Cotton six-cord threads in my Internet Shop, but I could at any time and people can email me about what colors or sizes of thread they are looking for.

I have a few of the colors of some threads in my shop, http://www.rsscrochetthreadplus.etsy.com/, - which colors and the amounts can change at any time - anyone should feel free to email me - either here or through my shop on etsy.com.

I REALLY, REALLY RECOMMEND THESE THREADS - FOR CROCHETING OR KNITTING DOILIES, OTHER HOUSEWARE ITEMS, LIGHTWEIGHT COTTON CLOTHING (INCLUDING BABY CLOTHING) - AND THEY ARE VERY GOOD FOR BEADING!!!

DMC PEARL COTTON IS ALSO RECOMMENDED FOR EMBROIDERY REQUIRING A "RICH EFFECT AND RAISED PATTERN" (DMC PEARL COTTON COLOR CARD) AND IS ALSO USED FOR NEEDLEPOINT.

CHECK OUT MY INTERNET SHOP - AND/OR GO LOOK AT THE DMC USA WEBSITE AND SEE THE RICH ASSORTMENT OF THREADS THAT ARE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR CRAFTS!!

HAPPY CRAFTING!!

RUTH

(*This is the information that I have about these threads at the time of publication - the DMC USA website will have the current information at any time.)

No comments :