Monday, April 21, 2008

SPRING HAS SPRUNG - WARMER DAYS - TIME FOR A REFRESHING SALAD!!

Ruth Sandra Sperling
RSS Designs In Fiber - Internet Shop of Handmade Items
RSS Crochet Thread Plus - Internet Shop of Crochet Thread

A constant part of all of our lives is what we eat.

For a variety of reasons, I have watched my diet and what I eat most of my life - I have keen memories of this part of my life going back to when I was 8 years old.

For some reason, I eat differently at different times of the year. In the colder months, I eat a lot of warmer foods - especially soups and stews - made with fresh ingredients.

But in the warmer months, it is salads.

Not your normal everyday lettuce and tomato salad - oh that is way too boring for me - and besides it is not the best for me.

What I do in the warmer months is to try an keep a dish of some kind of chopped up salad in the refrigerator.

It varies - sometimes it is hotter, like a salsa, with mainly onions, tomatos, hot peppers (usually either jalapenos or serranos) and fresh garlic. But very often I have a dish of just the greener/non-fruit/non-carb vegetables chopped up - it is great to grab a few spoonfuls in a hurry for a snack or it goes great with just about anything - chicken, fish, a dish of organic brown rice and veggies, a rice cracker - but what ever it is with, it is refreshing.

For me the basic ingredients that are always in it are:

  • fresh garlic
  • fresh onion (either red or yellow or white or scalllions - what ever I have/prefer)
  • fresh hot pepper (either jalapenos or serranos - but if I use serranos, I use less as they are HOT in anything even in small amounts)

But with these three ingredients (which are also very often the basis for a fresh salsa), you need other green veggies to offset their strong flavors (and, oh, keep the toothpaste and toothbrush close by!). Since I am making a green/non-carb veggie salad, the other ingredients, which vary depending on what I have and what I feel like, are:

  • cucumber
  • celery
  • fresh broccoli
  • fresh red, green, orange or yellow peppers (not the hot ones - the so-called "sweet" ones)
  • tomatillos (rarely, but occasionally)
  • cabbage (either red or green)
  • radishes

Then come the fresh herbs - again depending on what I am growing (I grow fresh herbs in containers in my yard) - which really add some great flavor to the veggies:

  • rosemary
  • basil
  • tarragon
  • chives
  • dill
  • mint
  • oregano

Then mix it all up (sometimes with some black pepper, too) - and put in the refrigerator, covered (I use covered glass dishes that I have collected over the years - I think it tastes better in a glass dish) - for a while -- and then you have a tasty snack/side dish availabe at any time -- until it is all gone.

I usually make a pretty good sized dish, so it lasts me at least a couple of days!!

And, if it is all gone - and I want a veggie to grab, there is always a stalk of celery or a few radishes or some slices of cucumber or pieces of fresh broccoli.

And sometimes, it all tastes the greatest when I mash up a rather ripe avocado and mix in some of the veggies with some red or black pepper and sea salt (small amount).

Maybe you would like to try it!!

I am going out all day tomorrow, so I am chopping up some of my favorite fresh veggies to make one of these chopped salads to take with me - and some stalks of celery, some radishes - and a fresh orange or two - along with some meat I cooked up today. Easy to take along and much better than just anything I could grab while I am going around.

EAT FRESH FOODS!! AND THESE SALADS ARE REALLY REFRESHING!!

KEEPING A BOWL OF CHOPPED UP SALAD IN YOUR FRIDGE, IT WILL BE EASY TO GRAB!!!

IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT, FOR SOME NATURAL SWEETNESS, YOU CAN TAKE A FEW SPOONFULS AND CHOP UP SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE FRUITS (MINE TO EAT WITH SALADS ARE WATERMELON OR STRAWBERRIES OR APPLES OR ORANGE OR GRAPEFRUIT - OR A VARIETY OF BERRIES!!).

DIG IN!!

Ruth

No comments :