Sunday, May 17, 2009

ARTISTIC CHALLENGE VOTING IN PROGRESS ON ETSY THREAD ARTISTS

Ruth Sandra Sperling
RSS Designs In Fiber -
Internet Shop of Handmade Items In Fibers



One of my ETSY Teams, Etsy Thread Artists is having its 2nd Artistic Challenge on its blog, http://etsythreadartists.blogspot.com/.

The theme is "Floral" and there were certain requirements for doing it. (The theme was chosen by the winner of the 1st Artistic Challenge, Brenda.)

We have 8 entries, one of which is a doily that I made -- ROSES AND SHAMROCKS. Here are some pictures.












You can find it for sale on Etsy here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25116802 .

The voting is going on from May 16th to May 31st on the Team blog in the upper right-hand corner. My entry is #8.


I really enjoyed making it, though it took a lot of work because there are 11 flower motifs (including the center motif) and 10 shamrocks -- and each of the 11 flowers has 3 colors in it (all made in DMC Cebelia size 20)!!

The close-ups really show the detail in different parts of the doily.

Doing these designs in thread crochet, it is really delightful to watch the design unfold as you crochet -- or, in this case, when you put it all together!!

Though I don't actually teach crochet, if anyone has any questions or comments about making a doily like this, why don't you leave a comment on this post -- and I will respond here on the blog as soon as I can.

I am self-taught, but I use patterns, books -- and now years of experience -- to be able to do a project this complicated -- and in multiple colors.

Though I sell my completed craft projects, I also like to encourage others to do it themselves - either for themselves - or others - or to sell.

It is really amazing what you can do with crochet thread and a crochet hook -- just take a look at the work showcased on the Etsy Thread Artists blog !!


Ruth

No comments :